Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Hep with Creating VLANS on my CAT 2948G-L3 Switch

I'm trying to create VLANS on this switch but I don't see the commands to do it. I have the following IOS instlaled.

cat2948g-in-mz.120-25.W5.27d.bin

Thanks in advance for the help

Mike

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Hep with Creating VLANS on my CAT 2948G-L3 Switch

Mike,

You cannot create layer 2 vlan on this L3 switch router.You can configure vlan rub-interfaces on the trunk port to achieve inter-vlan routing.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/4908g_l3/ios_12/18w522a/config/vlancnfg.htm

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Amit,

Here is what I would like to do with this switch. I want to have seprate networks. Say 10.1.1.1/24 and 10.2.1.1/24. I was planning on doing this with two different vlans. Vlan 10 and 11. Then have the two vlans route to the router. I need to the vlans so that I can have x number of ports for the one network and y number of ports for the other network. How can I achive this?

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Do you have a spare L2 switch. You cannot create L2 vlans on this box. You can use it as an external L3 router for intervlan routing between the vlans. Use a spare L2 switch and uplink it to this box using a trunk link and then create sub-interfaces for the respective vlans for achieving the inter-vlan routing.

-amit singh

Amit,

Thanks for the help... Sounds like what your telling me is that I cannot use this switches the way I would like to. I guess I need a 3550 or 3750.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies