Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Hierarchial network deign

Hi everybody

I passed ccnp route exam a week ago and I would like to thank all of you for your great help ; Now  i am starting my study for  switch after one-week of much needed break.

My book says  one can design campus network using  hierarchical network design approach i.e access layer,distribution layer and core layer. The book further says  that campus network is an enterprising network consisting of many LANs in one or more buildings ,all connected and usually in the same geographic area.

My question can we use the same hierarchial network approach to a network spanning over many geographical areas ?

For example:

Let say we have 4 sites,  S1,s2,s3 and s4.  each site consists of one single building with 3 vlans. Let say sites are located as:

S1( Arizona), S2(California),S3(Newyork) and S4( Texas).

Can we use hierarchical design approach i.e  access layer,distribution and core layer ?

I am going to give a shot.

I place an distribution switch  "Swdis" at Texas site. 

S1 -trunk--Swdis

S2--trunk---

S3-trunk---

The problem is  the distance between Newyork and Texas is around 1800 miles.  how can we run trunk over that distance?

thanks and have a great weekend.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Super Bronze

Hi Sarah,

You can trunk between New York and Texas over a layer-3 MPLS cloud using service providers network like AT&T, Sprint, Version, ETC... but that is layer-2 network and when things are not working troubleshooting is difficult.

In most cases you want to keep your local network at every site local and have layer-3 circuits between the sites. This way you can troubleshot and isolates issues locally first before you get the provides involved.  It also give you more control over your network. You also don't have to have all 3 layers (access, distribution, core) at every site.  It all depends on the number of users/resources the network is serving. If your network is serving a few vlans, you can simply have a couple of access layer switches with one or two core layer switches and no need for distro switches.

HTH

1 REPLY
VIP Super Bronze

Hi Sarah,

You can trunk between New York and Texas over a layer-3 MPLS cloud using service providers network like AT&T, Sprint, Version, ETC... but that is layer-2 network and when things are not working troubleshooting is difficult.

In most cases you want to keep your local network at every site local and have layer-3 circuits between the sites. This way you can troubleshot and isolates issues locally first before you get the provides involved.  It also give you more control over your network. You also don't have to have all 3 layers (access, distribution, core) at every site.  It all depends on the number of users/resources the network is serving. If your network is serving a few vlans, you can simply have a couple of access layer switches with one or two core layer switches and no need for distro switches.

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies