Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

High EXEC process CPU utilization

As the subject heading says I am experiencing extremely high CPU utilization by the EXEC process.

CPU utilization for five seconds: 97%/0%; one minute: 96%; five minutes: 96%

2 ME 80335584 8180376 129506 6316610968/12000 65 Exec

129 M* 0 584 262 222910080/12000 66 Virtual Exec

I have followed the trouble shooting guide on the Cisco site but this has not helped in fixing the problem.

I have attached the output from the Sh tech support command.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Murray

6 REPLIES

Re: High EXEC process CPU utilization

Is there perhaps a debug running?

Leo

Thanks lgijssel but all debugging is disabled.

From the show tech I noticed that you are running a very old IOS version. (Version 12.2(4)T)

This is so old that it is not even listed anymore. For more information, refer to:

Cisco IOS Software Product Bulletin no. 2863

Cisco IOS Software Retirement Table

This is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosplanner.cgi?get_crypto=&data_from=&hardware_name=2620-2621&software_name=&release_name=&majorRel=12.2&state=:HW&type=

The fact that it is an early T-version makes it an even more more likely suspect. Unless you are 200% certain that this IOS version is performing fine elsewhere with a similar config, I would suggest that you begin with upgrading the router to some GD version from the list.

regards,

Leo

Just to let you know that upon revisiting the trouble shooting documentation I have found the resolution. I have changed the console logging level to critical.

I have a project in place to update the IOS levels on all the routers that we use.

Thanks for your help.

Purple

Best practices tell you to actually turn off logging console . Only turn it on if you need it to look at something and you are attached to the console , other wise there is no reason to have it on .

For the future : here is a nice command to help you isolate which processes are using CPU:

show process cpu | exclude [0-9.]+% +0.00%

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content