Views
Helpful
Replies

Home Lab IOS Licensing

TurboNerd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am about as newb as newb can get, so please have patience with me. I started pursuing CCNA, and along the way started building a home lab. My question is: I see in Cisco's licensing model that when you buy used equipment from non- Cisco certified resellers, that the rights to use the IOS software does not transfer with the equipment. So when I buy per se a router with IOS x loaded on it, I legally cannot use it. I want to be honest and not cheat Cisco out of money, and people can flame me for that, but seriously, in integrity, I am seeking if someone here, who is endowed by Cisco to state Cisco's position regarding students using old Cisco equipment to learn and get certified to support their technology, can give me some sort of concrete answer, so I can start labbing with a clear conscience. I read a bit of Cisco history, and I think I have a handle on why it is the way it is, but I am looking for Cisco's stance regarding students purchasing and using old equipment. Hands-on is the way to go. Clearly from the fact of me posting this, I am trying to be honest. The equipment is purely for home education in pursuit of Certification. So far my equipment is, I believe, end of life. It consists of: 3 2821's, 2 3550 PWR EMI's, 3 wic 2t's, and a 16a card to attempt to setup an access server. I just need permission to use the software that is on it. Thanks for your patience, and any assistance you can give, would be greatly appreciated, as I am exhausted from trying to figure this thing out. I think I have spent close to as much time learning Cisco licensing, as I have studying for the CCNA exam so far. -Well positively, I should probably ace the licensing part of the exam.

Also, if this post should be somewhere else, please advise.

Thanks again

David

4 Replies 4

TurboNerd
Level 1
Level 1

Aannnddd crickets!

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, crickets.  Those of us who don't work for Cisco, cannot speak for them, and the Cisco employees who post, probably aren't in a position to define Cisco policies.

Echoing Joesph's post - if you want an official answer, then a volunteer community support forum isn't the right venue.

I'd suggest you email an inquiry to licensing@cisco.com

Hello,

Thanks for posting guys. I would rather get rebuked, than hear nothing. I figured there would be official Cisco peeps monitorig the sites. Lesson learned, thanks for the policy exerpt, as I would have taken things on here as being endorsed by Cisco. Maybe I should study that next -tee hee. Anyhu, I called Cisco and was passed around a bit, I started in TAC, then went to Licensing, and they were all nice to work with. I landed in the Certifications department and was able to get an answer from some of their resources. - In short, on to labbing. Thanks to all who read and posted.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card