Replies

host ip add

vishal.rane
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

how to identify ip address of  a host connected to a Layer2 switch port

also other way around

if I knew the ip address of a host, how to identify on which switch port the host connected

thanks

Vishal

1 Reply 1

how to identify ip address of  a host connected to a Layer2 switch port

Using command show mac address-table interface type/num identify which mac address this host have. Than go to L3 device, where gateway for this host located (switch with Vlan or L3 interface for this vlan or router) and using show ip arp | i host-mac-address you will find it ip address.

if I knew the ip address of a host, how to identify on which switch port the host connected

show ip arp host-ip-address on L3 device -  from here you will derive mac address of host, than you can move froward to L2 switch by issuing show mac address-table dynamic address host-mac-address and going to device located on this port and repeat this command on it untill you get to switch where host directly connected or other way is use command traceroute mac src-mac dst-mac vlan vlan-id

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: