Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

hostflapping events due to a roaming wireless client

I've been investigating some hostflapping issues on my switches and discovered that this was caused by 2 access points where a client was roaming in between.

These AP's are standalone installations.

Is there any setting which will prevent this hostflapping ?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: hostflapping events due to a roaming wireless client

It depends on the platform.   It is disabled by default on the 6500 running native IOS.  It is enabled on the 3750/3560/2960 platforms and cannot be disabled.

On the 6500, if it has mac address move notification enabled, you can disable it with the command "no mac address-table notification mac-move" command in the global config.

How to tell if it is enabled on the 6500:

#sh run | i notification
mac-address-table notification mac-move

How to disable it on the 6500:

(config)#no mac address-table notification mac-move

Again, on the 3750/3560/2960 platform you cannot disable this feature.

It's a 4506 model running IOS 12.2(25).

The system doesn't accept the command

Doesn't this "flapping" have an impact spanning tree on the system ?

Cisco Employee

Command in discussion is supported in 12.2(31)SG or later releases.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/command/reference/int_sess.html#wp2097977

Please be aware, the recommended command just stops the switch from reporting mac-move notification and do NOT stop mac-move itself.

Mac-move should NOT have impact on the spanning-tree. In reverse, mac-move may be a symptom of Layer2 instability.

If have confirmed the mac-address reported belongs to a wireless client, and two ports in the error message are connecte to APs, then I believe this is an expected behavior/symptom.

- Yogesh

Views
Helpful
Replies