Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How a router handles untagged traffic

let's say I have a router on a stick topology with 2 sub-interfaces, representing 2 vlans.  let's say one of these is untagged.  When my router receives traffic from the untagged vlan it's going to be expecting a vlan tag per the command encapsulation dot1q.   I know i can use the command encapsulation dot1q vlan 10 native or whatever.  My question is that if i didn't tell my router to specifically accept un-tagged traffic would routing work between the 2 vlans?

One a similar note, at my current job i've been configuring all of our waps as flex-connect where I trunk the ports between the wap and the switch but tell the switch to untag the traffic on the wap subnet (native vlan 200).   On my router i have  a sub-interface that corrensponds to the subnet of my wap (with the command encapsulation dot1q 200).  Routing works fine.  i can ping the waps etc. . I guess my question is why.  The traffic coming from my wap isn't tagged with the vlan id 200 and my router is expecting that vlan tag.   I think i'm confusing myself here.  :)  a little enlightenment would be appreciated. 

Everyone's tags (1)
1 REPLY

On the switch what is the

On the switch what is the vlan that is configure with IP Address ?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content