Hello All,

I'm confused a bit in the VTP Domains.

Now, I have 3 Switches in the network, with the modes below:

SwitchMode
Switch A

Server

Switch BTransparent
Switch CClient

Now, I know that the Server and Transparent stores the VLANs in a VLAN.dat file in the NVRAM. What about the client? Does it keep the VLANs in the RAM and when rebooted starts getting the VLANs again from the Server?

Best Regards,

Islam M. Nadim.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

With all recent IOS versions, switches always keep the VLAN database stored in the vlan.dat, regardless of their VTP mode (server, client, or transparent). Some old sources say that clients did not maintain their own vlan.dat file and kept the VLAN database in RAM only. This may have been the case with CatOS and/or very old IOSes, but it is not true anymore.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

With all recent IOS versions, switches always keep the VLAN database stored in the vlan.dat, regardless of their VTP mode (server, client, or transparent). Some old sources say that clients did not maintain their own vlan.dat file and kept the VLAN database in RAM only. This may have been the case with CatOS and/or very old IOSes, but it is not true anymore.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card