Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I configure gre vpn tunnel on a layer 3 switch

jomo frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Expert,

I have a medium size network consists of  approx 8 remote branch office connected to head office (hub and spoke enviroment).

I am using cisco 3900 series router at head office and cisco 2811 router at the remote locations.

At all locations I am using cisco 2960 switches. Recently I am having problems at few locations with the cisco 2811 router. (power related)

I think about move up to layer  3 switches and as a redundancy plan I would like to be able to configure the new layer 3 switches  to route traffic should

any one of the router at the remote loaction goes down.

My concern is, will I be able to configure a cisco gre vpn tunnel on the  layer 3 switch? Could you suggest a layer 3 switch that will support gre vpn

tunnels.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, the chassis devices are comparatively huge.

The 4900 series and the 4500-X, if they support GRE, would be about the same sizes as other 2xxx and 3xxx series switches.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 6500 series does and the 6800 series should too.

I believe the 4500 series, with later IOS images and/or later sups, also supports GRE.

Don't know about 4900 series or 4500-X series.

Generally 2xxx and 3xxx series do not support GRE (end points).

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for the info --- the 6500 switch is huge the remote location will be cramp for space.

Are there any smaller switches that can just do basic site to site vpn ?

Regards

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Yes, the chassis devices are comparatively huge.

The 4900 series and the 4500-X, if they support GRE, would be about the same sizes as other 2xxx and 3xxx series switches.

jomo frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Doherty,

Sorry to late reponse, but all you suggestions were very good, we will be purchasing 3xxx switch .

Regards.

Hi,

Don't forget what Joseph told you: no GRE tunnel endpoint support on the 3xxx series

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello Alain,

Thanks for the reminder, but GRE tunnel endpoint support is not neccessary any more.

After discussion with my superior it was decided to go with a regular Layer 3 switch.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card