cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how can i setup a windows server in vlan?

qamarmiqdad
Level 1
Level 1

how can i setup a windows server in vlan? there are 10 users, printer and scanner in a vlan.some users work on upstair floor with scaner others are in downstair office.how can i manage this vlan like a normal server in a LAN. please give some detail.thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Qamar,

Not sure I understand your question. Do you want to manage the scanner and printer from the Windows 2003 server over the network? If so, make sure your scanner and printer have the correct default route for VLAN100 (192.168.1.1) so that it can correctly route packets to the server.

From the server, connect to the configured VLAN 100 interface addresses for the scanner and printer.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Qamar,

I think your first consideration should be were you are going to perform your inter-vlan routing.

What network device will host the L3 SVIs which will act as VLAN gateways and route packets between them.

Are the two floors of the building all patched to the same switch? What model is it? Is there a router in the building, what is it?

cheers,

Seb.

thanks.inter-vlan routing is already working.we are using switch 200 series between two offices and router 800 series.

PCs of two flours are directly attached on switch having one local gateway address 192.168.1.1 and switch is attached to the router on trunk port.so how can i setup server to handle all hosts and devices.

I suggest the following topology:

..I will make the assumption that your existing VLAN ID is 100, and which switchports are used

On the 800 router you will need to create an SVI for VLAN 200 and trunk it to the switch:

!

vlan 200

name server vlan

!

interface vlan 200

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

!

interface fa0/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,200

!

...on your switch use the GUI to receive packets tagged with the VLAN 200 ID. Then set up an access switchport connected to the server using VLAN 200. From the server configure it's default gateway as 192.168.2.1 and test the L3 connectivity by pinging the gateway from the server.

If successful, you should be able to communicate with the machines on other the VLAN.

Bear in mind that the 800 series router is not great at inter-vlan routing and you may see a drop in performance on the router.

For this reason, why have you chosen to put the server on a separate VLAN?

cheers,

Seb.

O thanks. i got inter vlan routing using the topology you give me.i can ping each other VLANs but now i am going to replace my server with windwos server 2003 in vlan 200 as per in your given topology and now want to manage all vlan 200 and vlan 100 resources such as printer and scanner so how can i do it, please guide me.thanks

Hi Qamar,

Not sure I understand your question. Do you want to manage the scanner and printer from the Windows 2003 server over the network? If so, make sure your scanner and printer have the correct default route for VLAN100 (192.168.1.1) so that it can correctly route packets to the server.

From the server, connect to the configured VLAN 100 interface addresses for the scanner and printer.

cheers,

Seb.

so great,i got your point i should make concern on the route of  packets  within each vlan and server and other attached peripherals would  communicate same as in LAN.thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card