cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can you find the problematic switch?

wuh
Level 1
Level 1

One of our sites has 3 layers. many of our devices were down this morning. One of our engineers spotted the problematic the switch quickly. His words are attached. My question for you is how can you find this switch?

Thanks,

Han

"That switch has gone wild. It was flooding the network with over 700mb of traffic and was bringing down all the switches except the two dsws. "

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

you should have a good knowledge of your network topology or at least trace using your network map. this would be an stp looping problem. you would want to issue show spanning-tree commands and find out which switch should not be in forwarding or blocking state. you could also check for the switch with high cpu by using show processes cpu and see which one has a high cpu utilization.

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I doubt very much it was the switch itself , switches do not generate that kind of traffic flow on thier own , someone hung off that switch is a different story.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

you should have a good knowledge of your network topology or at least trace using your network map. this would be an stp looping problem. you would want to issue show spanning-tree commands and find out which switch should not be in forwarding or blocking state. you could also check for the switch with high cpu by using show processes cpu and see which one has a high cpu utilization.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I doubt very much it was the switch itself , switches do not generate that kind of traffic flow on thier own , someone hung off that switch is a different story.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card