cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How come trunk link works on 100 meg port but not 1000?

jvalentin87
Level 1
Level 1

Why would a trunk link work on a 100 meg port but not 1000? I have a SG300-52MP and one of the gig ports are configured as a trunk. On the other end I have a SF302-08P. The gig port is also configured as a trunk but doesnt even light up. When I move the cable over to a 100 meg port configured as a trunk, it works perfectly fine.

10 Replies 10

How is the port on the SG300 configured? Does the port work with other devices?

Doeblecheck that the port is compatible to the 100 Meg-Port.

The gig port on the s300 is configured as a trunk port. I havent tried other devices on the gig port. The 100 meg port is configured exactly the same is working normally.

The gig port on the s300 is configured as a trunk port.

There is more than the setting of trunk. The Port-properties of enabled/disabled and Autoneg on/of are also important.

Auto-negotiation is enabled on both ports, flow control disabled, and auto-mdix enabled on both ports as well.

Hey guys,

Please allow me to jump in.

I am taking a wild guess, does this port has anything to do with "media-type sfp" at the interface level and let me know if it makes any difference.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Thank you for replying, unfortunately the port is not a fiber link, it is ethernet. I dont see how this can help me. I do see though that the ports are labeled 1000M-ComboC (SF302) and 1000M-copper (SG300).

Hey,

I thought you are trying to use SFP, my bad.

Try configuring "media-type rj45" at the interface level.

Regards,

RS.

Karsten, is there any other setting I should be looking at?

I still would test if the port comes up when something different with a Gig-Interface is connected; a for example a PC.

OK I tried plugging an IP phone into the gig port and nothing happened as well. I have tried shutting the port down and bringing it back up. This is the 2nd switch I am trying in that location and gave me the same problem. I tried the original switch in another location, different uplink from same switch, and it is giving the same problem. Any insight on that? Would you like to see some specific configs?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card