Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I load balance based on dest TCP port and conn count

daleschultz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I was asked by one of my customers if it would be possible to use my redundant 2821 routers to perform TCP destination port load balancing as connections started against their server. On the customer?s server they have dedicated TCP ports for an application. Each TCP port can only handle 64 connections. They would like to know if the 2821 can load balance connections across 8 different TCP ports and limit the connections to 64 per port. Does anyone have a possible solution using the 2821 router? If not the 2821 what platform could perform this function? I started to look at SLB but that doesn't seem to be supported on the 2821 routers.

Thanks.

Dale

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Aapplications that use a static TCP port can function in conjunction with the TCP application helper (Java applet) feature of Cisco IOS SSL VPN, and for applications that use dynamic TCP ports, you can use the SVC to attain complete network connectivity.

The WCCP-enabled router 2800 series intercepts the request based on the packet's destination port. Using the configured load balancing method and liveliness information, the router selects a local Edge FE as the redirection target. The static nature of the load balancing algorithm makes sure that the same Edge FE serves the client throughout the connection.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801d2d92.html#wp1089220

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card