cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I "reset to zero" the counters in Show IP Traffic on 6509?

cybrsage
Level 1
Level 1

I want to clear the counters shown when I use the command show ip counters. There is not a clear ip counters command. Clear counters does not clear these either.

I do not have a "clear ip counters" command:

6509#clear ip traffic

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

(Note, the ^ appears under the "r" in traffic)

Specifically, I have a LOT of "not a gateway" errors, I want to see if they are ancient or new.

I also want to know what "not a gateway" means.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael

According to the command reference the not a gateway counts non-routed packets that were encountered.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

What code are you running on your 6509? On my 6509 there is a clear ip traffic (running 12.2(18)SXF7).

I can approximate your symptoms if I attempt to clear the counters while not in privilege mode. The prompt in your post looks like privilege mode but can we verify what privilege level you are at (post the output of show privilege).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Michael

According to the command reference the not a gateway counts non-routed packets that were encountered.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Do you have a link to the command reference?

Found it. I had read two different command references, which only showed a small subset of the items (which is stupid). I finally found one which shows far more:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ipaddr/command/reference/1rfip2.html#wp1020634

"not a gateway Non-routed packet."

So basically, the switch routing process did not know where to send it, so it sent it out the gateway of last resort.

Thanks!

Current privilege level is 15

System image file is "disk0:s72033-pk9s-mz.122-18.SXD5.bin"

So close to your IOS level...but so far...

Michael

I did not realize that the clear ip traffic was such a new addition. Apparently it is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card