Helpful
Replies

How do i route between svi's

jameel.mytheen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In response to the above title

1.I have created 3 vlans on the switch with VTP server mode test on Layer 2 switch

2.Created Interface vlan and assigned IP address for created vlans on msfc.

3.i need to ping all the segments at the sametime on both MSFC&LAYER 2 switch

kindly help me on this.

6 Replies 6

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

As you mentioned you have created layer 3 interfaces on MSFC and have already configured ip adress for those vlans can you please confirm if you machines which are connected on layer 2 vlans are on cat6k only or on different layer 2 switch which is connetced to this CAT6k.

If it's a different layer 2 switch then you need to create a trunk between that switch and cat6k and then assign the machines gteway address what you have defined on their respective layer 3 interfaces.

Once done because MSFC by default have ip routing enable when you issue "sh ip route" command you will see all your vlans as directly connected there and all machines in different vlans will be able to communicate to with each other.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur,

There is no more switch additional switch , for this setup.

Presently i'm trying this on sup32, which is runnning with the help of hybrid os , which has got both feature switching & routing.

Here my question is

In a switch mode If put a machine in any one of the configured vlans , sure it will work that vlan , but i need the same machine should be reach with all the configured gateway iP adddress on MSFC.

how can I do it , is any routing protocol is required to communicate each other.

Hi

Yes it possible.The MSFC is a builtin router on SUP.U will not have any problem to reach any ip on the MSFC from anywhere unless u have configured ACL's.

When u create SVI's for individual vlans they will directly conneted on the MSFC.So as the packet arrives from any machine destined to any SVI on the MSFC it will connected as all the interfaces are on MSFC.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Jameel,

No routing protocols are required for inter vlan communication.

What you have to do is on your CATOS on sup 32 create 2 vlans suppose vlan 2 and vlan 3. Now take 2 machines connect on different ports and configure one port for vlan 2 and another port for vlan 3.

Go to MSFC and create layer 3 interface for both the vlans

interface vlan 2

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

interface vlan 3

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

After that issue a command "sh ip route " you will see both the vlans in connected state. Now assign your machines with respective subnet ip addresses and assign them gateway address what is configured on layer 3 interface on MSFC.

After that try ping from one machine to another and you will be good to go.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur,

How are u man.Good to see u back.

BTW congrats to u on becoming Father.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood,

Thanks for your warm welcome and wishes.

Regards,

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card