cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How I can change size of Ethernet frame ???

ksn77
Level 1
Level 1

How I can change size of Ethernet frame at cisco 871 ?

I have channel (point to point) from my ISP.

Topology of this channel is "Bridge".

This schema doesn't work :

cisco871 <- ADSL modem -> ISP <-- ADSL modem --> cisco 871

192.168.11.1 192.168.11.2

But this schema work propertly:

cisco2611xm <- ADSL modem -> ISP <-- ADSL modem --> winodws2003(routing on)<--> cisco 871

My ISP said me: "Your cisco871 have outgoing Ethernet-frame more 1508 and ISP reject its. "

I don't understand why cisco2611xm work propertly so cisco871 doesn't when i use ISP's "Bridge".

I'm can't change MTU at FastEthernet inetface:

cisco871

pervomay(config)#interface fastEthernet 4

pervomay(config-if)#mtu

pervomay(config-if)#mtu ?

<64-17940> MTU size in bytes

pervomay(config-if)#mtu 1450

% Interface FastEthernet4 does not support user settable mtu.

pervomay(config-if)#

4 Replies 4

c.lemaire
Level 1
Level 1

You should try with the 'system mtu xxx' command in global config or with the 'ip tcp adjust-mss xxx' command in interface config.

As I understand in this device where is no ability to execute command 'system mtu xxx':

pervomay#sys?

systat

pervomay#

I tryed ip 'tcp adjust-mss xxx' and 'ip mtu xxxx' but no result was given.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Try "ip mtu xxxx" frmo the interface config prompt.

Also, relatively few frames are actually that large. For most networks, the majority of traffic is in the 128-512 byte range.

If the ISP is seeing frames larger than 1508, then you may also have some kind of tagging / VLAN active or there's a proxy tag ... some other information is being added to the ethernet frame.

Good Luck

Scott

My understanding is that on the 871 the FE ports is a switch port not a router port, so you won't be able to change the MTU size on that port. You will be able to change on the router port, i.e any port you can assign IP address to..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card