cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How I can configure monitor session for that remote traffic using VLAN RSPAN and local traffic can be monitored in only one destination port?

harold.morales
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switches, one called SW_VIP_P20 and other SW_VIP_P5, in SW_VIP_20 is configured a VLAN RSPAN where arrives traffic of this switch to be passed through a trunk to SW_VIP_P5 which I must configure a monitor session with only one destination port for can ckeck the traffic that arrives through the trunk of VLAN RSPAN of SW_VIP_P20 and the traffic of some ports of SW_VIP_P5, is possible do it?

Thanks for your help

3 Replies 3

krishnakumarr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Pl find attached  SPAN & RSAPN doc

regards

krishna kumar

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Harold,

You need to configure monitor session with defining the source port/vlan and the destination port where the traffic will come for diagnosing purpose.

Following commands are used to configure monitoring session

monitor session 1 source vlan range

monitor session 1 destination interface "desktop ip"

Hope that clear out your query !!

Regards

Ganesh.H

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Harold,

it is possible to have multiple destinations for a monitor session, but it is not possible to use the same destination port for two different monitor sessions.

So in your case, the safer solution is to deploy two distinct destination ports one to collect RSPAN traffic and one for local traffic.

>> A destination port can participate in only one SPAN session at a time. (A destination port in one SPAN session cannot be a destination port for a second SPAN session.)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1043686

this is true also for C6500

>> A port specified as a destination port in one SPAN session cannot be a destination port for another SPAN session.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1032979

You may be able to have a destination port on source switch able to see the same traffic sent over the RSPAN vlan but not on the destination switch.(this is platform dependent  should be possible on C6500, not effective on other switch models, I remember a thread about this in the forums).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: