Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How many mirror ports?

I am just wondering if there is a rule of thumb as to how many mirror ports you should put on a 3560G.  Our email administrators have asked me to mirror 5 or 6 ports going to different servers and while we should have the processing power and bandwidth, I don't want to cause and degregation in the network. I know the option is there to mirror all traffic from a VLAN to a paticular port.  We aren't going to be doing any of that, the mirror is always going to be from one physical machine on a port to a capture pc on another port.

So, what stats on the switch should I be looking at to gauge if these mirror ports are taxing the system?  We currently have 3 ports running now and have no issues.

THANKS!

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How many mirror ports?

On the Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL Series Switches, the number of destination ports that are available on the switch is the only limit to the number of SPAN sessions.

From here:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml

3 REPLIES

On the Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL Series Switches, the number of destination ports that are available on the switch is the only limit to the number of SPAN sessions.

From here:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml

That makes sense.  I guess there's no difference between having 48 busy ports and 24 busy ports being mirrored to 24 destinations.

Thanks for the info.

Yeap.  Glad I could help.

Views
Helpful
Replies