cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many PE on on 2P can be added on MPLS?

henry.buenafe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I new with this MPLS setup and I need some input  on this. I want to know how many PE can be added in 2P on MPLS. is it OK to have a more than 5bgp connection in every PE? I need some help if this setup is OK. Attach screenshot for reference. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Henry,

I am not entirely sure what exactly are you asking about. What do you mean by "2P"?

Regarding the count of BGP sessions driven by a single PE, there is no universal limit or a recommendation how many BGP sessions at most should a PE handle. This depends very much on the overall loading of the PE, and the amount of information exchanged in the individual BGP sessions. However, it is common to have tens of BGP sessions handled by a PE, so having 5 does not seem to be a concern at all, at least not in your lab setup. You could, however, consider making one of your routers a BGP route reflector, and have other BGP speakers peer only with the route reflector instead of peering with each other.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Henry,

I am not entirely sure what exactly are you asking about. What do you mean by "2P"?

Regarding the count of BGP sessions driven by a single PE, there is no universal limit or a recommendation how many BGP sessions at most should a PE handle. This depends very much on the overall loading of the PE, and the amount of information exchanged in the individual BGP sessions. However, it is common to have tens of BGP sessions handled by a PE, so having 5 does not seem to be a concern at all, at least not in your lab setup. You could, however, consider making one of your routers a BGP route reflector, and have other BGP speakers peer only with the route reflector instead of peering with each other.

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks Peter..

Btw Peter, I'm wondering how many peer EIGRP can be created using c2900 series. ex. HQ have c2900 and have 10 branches with c1900. Is it possible we connect using eigrp or ospf with 10 neighbors in c2900? Please advise..
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card