cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many Routers can you have in a row using OSPF?

Mitchell.Harmon
Level 1
Level 1

I've set up OSPF on 4 routers in a row to just play around, Router 1 Can see up to router 3 and visa versa but to router 4 to router 2 but they just wont go any further.

I have them in different sub nets 10.1.1.0/29 with Different Router id's, They are all broad casting both of there network address.

After made sure that they have different Router Id's I did a Clear IP oSPF PROCESS. I hope that isn't the cause.

Ive been playing around with silly thing for days now!

4 Replies 4

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

There's no limit how many you can put in a row. Are you using Dynamips?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mitchell,

There aren't any limits as far as I know, but it sounds like you have a broken area 0. If you have more than one area, you need an area 0 that touches all of these areas. If you have area 0 ---> area 1 ---> area 2 ----> area 3, you'll need to configure virtual links to get areas 2 and 3 to be able to route to area 0.

Is that what you have configured?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Tow configure a virtual link, you need to make sure that the area that you are using to tunnel area 0, is not any kind of stub area. Also, this area has to have a link to area 0 as well.

So if you have three areas, Area0, Area1, and Area2.

You ill need to create a virtual-link through Area1.

R1<--->R2<--->R3

R1 is in Area 0, R2 is in Area 2, and R3 is in Area 3

R1 RID = 1.1.1.1

R2 RID = 2.2.2.2

R3 RID = 3.3.3.3

R1

---

area 2 virtual-link 3.3.3.3

R3

----

area 2 virtual-link 1.1.1.1

If you have authentication in area 0, you will need to include this as well, since even though it's a sort of tunnel to Area0, it's still Area 0.

Mitchell.Harmon
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much guys, I was incrimenting the area's as I thought that was the right thing to do, I understand now that to connect the areas you need a tunnel/ Virtual link. I have yet to try ad create the tunnels but im happy just having them communicating.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card