cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many Vlans does WS-C2950-24 support

kkrishnamurthy
Level 1
Level 1

We have a WS-C2950-24 switch which is currently in transparent mode . There is two VLANs configured . We want this switch to join the domain . The domain has mode than 80 VLANs configured . I pull my trunk cable out and convert the switch to client . No error messages . I plug the trunk cable , immediately I get the following error :

"SW_VLAN-6-VTP_MODE_CHANGE: VLAN manager changing device mode from CLIENT to TRANSPARENT "

This URl explains this :

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/lanswitching/showcase?case=K85046601

Also sh vtp status says that the maximun VLAN cab be only 64

sh vtp status

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 0

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 64

Number of existing VLANs : 6

VTP Operating Mode : Transparent

I have disabled STP on all VLANs except for 2 just to test , but still can't convert the switch to client mode .

I have come to a conclusion that under no circumstances this switch supports mode than 64 VLANS and because we have more than 64 on the domain it is failing .

Also I believe this switch can support only standard image and not enhanced .

Can Someone from Cisco confirm that Is there anything I can try or is this a limitation on this hardware .

Thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Krishna,

Catalyst 2950 switches that run the standard software image (SI) support 64 VLANs; Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 switches that run the enhanced software image (EI) support 250 VLANs.

The switch which you are having can only support standard image and is the reason you cannot go beyond 64 vlans support on this switch.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card