Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many WAN connections (Rj45) supported on ISR G2 router

Hi

How many WAN connections (Rj45) supported on ISR G2 router ?

If my router have the data license can I do load balancing between  3 or more WAN connection ?

Thanks & Regards

Lakshman Kumar S

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The answer to your question depends on the model of ISR G2 that you are talking about. Some ISR G2 come with 2 built in Ethernet interfaces and some come with 3. And they all support various types of WICs and Service Modules that can have Ethernet interfaces or Ethernet switches.

If correctly configured an ISR G2 can certainly load share over 3 or more connections.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

l

Take 2921 is my router. It has 3 WAN on board ports and I have taken one more WAN port (EHWIC card one port). I have taken 4 ISP connections. Now can I do load balancing on the router for 4 ISP?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

As Rick also noted, it all depends on the model you are purchasing.  For example 3945E comes with 4 on board 10/100/1000 interfaces.  So, it all depends.

for more info see table-7 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78_553924.html

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Rick and Reza have both noted, number of routable Ethernet ports varies per ISR G2 model.  Ethernet switch options would allow the most Ethernet ports, but you need to route through them using SVIs.

However, most ISR G2s often do not have the performance capacity to run their built-in Ethernet ports at full capacity.  Often the add-in Ethernet ports have bandwidth restrictions to/from the port.

Basically, ISR G2 routers were designed to have a LAN Ethernet connection and some WAN, non-Ethernet connection, of much less bandwidth.

ISR G2 router performance is also very much impacted by device configuration.

Take 2921 is my router. It has 3 WAN on board ports and I have taken one more WAN port (EHWIC card one port). I have taken 4 ISP connections. Now can I do load balancing on the router for 4 ISP?

Now can I do load balancing on the router for 4 ISP?

It's not a question of how many Layer 3 ports do you have but the amount of bandwidth you expect your router to do. 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Can you load balance all 4 ports - sure.

Will it work well - depends.  Cisco recommends the 2921 for up to 50 Mbps of WAN (duplex) bandwidth.  So, if all 4 ports were running at 10 Mbps, you would probably be fine.  If you want to run the ports at 100 or 1,000, maybe not so fine (depends on how much traffic actually goes up/down the ports.

Also, don't know what bandwidth the EWHIC module slot supports.

Certainly the 2921 is technically capable of sharing load over 4 interfaces. How well it will work depends on several factors. As Leo and Joseph have indicated there is some question about how much bandwidth you expect it to support. I would suggest that there are other factors to consider as well:

- do you intend to do the load sharing with static routing or with dynamic routing?

- your question implies that these are connections to the Internet via ISP, is this the case?

- if it is to the Internet is it the same ISP for all interfaces, or is it different ISPs?

- if it is different ISPs then each ISP may have slightly different policies for Internet access which you may need to accommodate and which may complicate your configuration.

- if it is multiple ISP then whose address space will you use? and how will you advertise the address space to multiple ISP?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: