cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to add switchports into a VLAN on 877

davieshuw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I've got a Cisco 877 to replace our old shoddy ADSL router.

I want to connect it to our internal network so the PC's and server can use it as the Internet gateway.

Now obviously i'll need to configure an IP address for them to look at, but when I try to conigure an IP address on E0, I get the 'go away, you can give a switchport and IP address fool' message...

I can rememeber something about needing to create a VLAN, give it an IP address and assign the switch port to that VLAN, but, alas, I cant remember how to do it.

Can someone help?

Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you use VLAN 1 as your interface VLAN, then you shouldn't have to do anything special to the access port. It should by default be a member of VLAN 1.

Make sure the port is a member of VLAN 1 by using 'switchport access vlan 1'

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

you'll need to issue the 'no switchport' command prior to attempting to put an IP address on that switchport.

Ah OK, they then become 'normal' interfaces then?

the 'no switchport' command makes the port a routed interface.

Ok, I get these choices, any reccomendations?

inetrtr(config-if)#no switchport ?

access Set access mode characteristics of the interface

mode Set trunking mode of the interface

priority Set 802.1p priorities

trunk Set trunking characteristics of the interface

voice Voice appliance attributes

Not on a 877 it doesn't.... The FastEthernet interfaces on the 877 are ONLY Layer-2 switchports - they can be trunks and Voice VLAN enabled access ports but they CAN'T be routed interfaces.

By default they are all assigned as access ports attached to VLAN 1 so you would need to create the VLAN SVI and assign an IP address to this:

interface VLAN 1

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

HTH

Andy

Right and then simply make the relevant port (E0) a member of VLAN 1

If you use VLAN 1 as your interface VLAN, then you shouldn't have to do anything special to the access port. It should by default be a member of VLAN 1.

Make sure the port is a member of VLAN 1 by using 'switchport access vlan 1'

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: