cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add vlans of VTP server & Client switches to trunk port on a Transparent switch

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

How to add a VLAN to a trunk port on transparent switch?

The below output is from "show interfaces trunk" on a VTP transparent switch which lies between the VTP Server and VTP clients.

p3.PNG

The problem i'm facing is except the devices in vlan1, none of the devices are able to communicate to each other.

So if i add the required vlans to the above trunk ports, then all the devices can communicate each other.

But how ? Is creating the required VLAN's on this transparent switch is the only way ? or is there any other way ?

Output of "sh vlan br" of this switch.

p4.PNG

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chandu

How to add vlans of VTP server & Client switches to trunk port on a Transparent switch

Regards, Chandu
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chandu

No you don't. If the transparent switch is between the VTP server and client and you want to pass vlan traffic between all switches with trunk links those vlans must be in the vlan database of each switch.

If you do not want to manually add the vlans then VTP transparent is not the right choice.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chandu

You need to manually add the vlans to the vlan database on the transparent switch and then the trunks will pass those vlans between the other switches.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

Let's say my requiremet is, the transparent switch should not have the vlans that are on the Server/domain.

So do we have any other way?

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Chandu

No you don't. If the transparent switch is between the VTP server and client and you want to pass vlan traffic between all switches with trunk links those vlans must be in the vlan database of each switch.

If you do not want to manually add the vlans then VTP transparent is not the right choice.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card