cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to bridge the two ethernet in 2651

abdullah.s
Level 1
Level 1

How to group the two fast ethernt in the router 2561. I mean you will connect the lan in one port and you will get it from the other port.

7 Replies 7

!

bridge-group 1 protocol ieee

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

bridge-group 1

!

interface FastEthernet0/2

bridge-group 1

!

HTH

Andy

michael.oconnor
Level 1
Level 1

Works for me too - Although I'm not sure even a 2651 is going to provide 100Mbps fdx throughput - it's a router not a switch. Anyone know about this?

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi...

you can do it by creating one BVI bridge virtual interface... and with the help of it you can add to the perticular interface into the bridge group... and multiple interface in single bridge group will act as single interface...

regards

Devang

Abdullah asks how to use the 2 LAN interfaces together and Andy has provided what is probably the technically correct solution of bridging the 2 interfaces (though his solution does not allow the router to recognize or process IP on those interfaces). Devang adds the helpful suggestion of using IRB in creating a BVI interface which would allow the use of IP routing over those interfaces.

But I am not sure that either of these will really get what Abdullah is asking for. He describes in one interface and out the other. But in either of these solutions there is the matter of spanning tree. When these interfaces are bridged together spanning tree will have one of the interfaces in blocking mode and no user traffic will pass through it.

Perhaps Abdullah can help us understand what he is attempting to accomplish and then we might be able to provide better assistance.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

abdullah.s
Level 1
Level 1

Rick and all

Thanks for replies.

My problem is I have 2651 router (Voip)which is having two fast ethernet ports. fast ethernet 0/0 pluged to the lan. I want to use the other port to proviide the lan to other device. I can do it with using a switch but it's no worthed. I want to use this port instead.

Abdullah

Am I correct in understanding that you want to connect a single device on the other fast ethernet port? Is it a requirement that this device be in the same subnet (same VLAN) as the other devices? It would be fairly simple to connect the device to the other fast ethernet port and create a different subnet, give the device an address in the different subnet, and the router will route between the two subnets. This could work ok. But trying to put both fast ethernet interfaces into the same subnet and the same VLAN is an issue as the previous posts have discussed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

The setup as following:

I have one Voip router with two fast ethernet. The first ethernet (f0/0) connected to the LAN with Dynamic ip ( DHCP ). I want to use the other port (f0/1) to connect another device (e.g PC). I tried to bridge the both fast ethernet but it doesn't work. The connected device didn't take an IP.

I want to try the BVI bridge but i don't Know how could you or any body give me the commands

Thanks all for the assistance.

abdullah

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: