cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to bring up mulitpe connections through a terminal server

jeff113113
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I have never been able to figure this out. I have a Cisco 2511 terminal server. Is there a way when using SecureCRT to bring up multiply devices going through the terminal server. What i keep doing is ctrl-shft-6-x but that's only going to be displayed on the same terminal window. I want to have multipe tabs open to the other devices. Other then putting a IP on all the devices and not using the terminal server while telneting I just can't seam to find a way. On videos like CBT nugget he goes through multipe tabs for his devices. I figued there has to be a way.

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What version of SecureCRT do you have?  I think, to open up multiple tabs you need version 6 or later.

HTH

I believe that this approach should work:

- open a session with SecureCRT.

- telnet to the term server.

- use the term server to open a console session to one device.

- open a  new tab in SecureCRT.

- in the new tabl telnet to the term server.

- use the term server to open a console session to another device.

- open a new tab in SecureCRT.

- in the new tab telnet to the term server.

- use the term server to open a console session to another device.

This approach should work up to the max number of vty that are configured. By default that would be 5. You may be able to configure additional vty and if so you should be able to have additional sessions to additional devices.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard, are you able to telnet through the console port? I didn't think that was possible.

Do you think that I said to telnet through the console port? What in my suggestion has telnet and console port in the same line? Every time I suggest telnet it is through SecureCRT to the term server. And every time I mention console it is for the term server to open a session to the console port (which is what a term server does).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes that what I though you were implying. I dont know what port to telnet to the terminal server on. As you probably know, it has a console, aux, aui and 2 serial ports. What port am I telneting through on the terminal server?

Perhaps I should verify some assumptions that I made. How are you currently accessing the terminal server using SecureCRT? I was assuming that you were doing a telnet to the term server. But perhaps that is not the case.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This is for my home lab. I'm pluged from my laptop the the console port of the 2511 terminal server.

OK. That helps. My suggestion was based on the assumption that you had a network connection to the term server and that you were telnetting to the term server. If you are using a connection from your laptop to the console of the term server then I do not believe that there is an option where you can use multiple tabs and have multiple connections at the same time. I am sure that on things  like CBT nugget they are using telnet sessions to the term server and that would allow you to use multiple tabs and have multiple connections at the same time.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard, so I guess there's no way possible to do what I want to do using a home lab.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card