Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to Change ASSERT flush timer from 180 sec default to less???

HI ,

I have a scenario of Multicast traffic.

Two wan links on differrent routers R1 and R2. I am running VRRP on both. R1 is master and R2 is backup. R1 is PIM DR with manupulated DR priority. In normal working scenario on broadcast networks R1 wins the assert election and elect as a forwarder and starts forwarding Multicast packets, R2 become the querier and it prunes outgoing interfaces fro multicast stream as R1 is the forwarder. When primary link goes down, secondary router starts sending multicast packets to reciever.

But problem arrise that time when primary link get restored and R1 wins the Assert Election and start forwarding Multicast packets, but same time after election, 180 seconds R2 also sending the multicast packets to reciever. so reciever gets duplicate multicast for 180 seconds, till R2 prunes its outgoing interface lists.

Assert prune default time is 180 Seconds.

My question is how to change the default time of assert pruning from 180 seconds to less?

Regards,

Manoj Gawde

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Manoj,

if R1 wins the new assert election it means that R2 loses it and consequently should prune its outgoing interface immediately.

What platforms R1 and R2 are? Which software are they running? Do you have PIM SM or DM?

Have you enabled pim debug on R2 to see if it really prunes its LAN interface after the assert election?

(debug ip pim )

Riccardo

HI Ricardo,

Thanks for reply.

Both routers are cisco 1905 and 15.4 image. PIM SM configured.

I have not yet used debug command, but i will try it.

Will share you the debug outputs.

Manoj Gawde

Views
Helpful
Replies