Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check source IP in Lan

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Dear Experts ,

We have 6500 switch in our Lan and so many users are terninated on this switch.we have two uplinks to outside world i.e internet from this switch.One of the user is accessing site which he is not suppose to access.

If i enable ip accouting output packets on the interfaces connecting to internet, i think i can be able to see the source & destination Ip's.I know the destination IP .

Is there any other command or procedure to check which source is accessing that particular destination Ip.

Satish

9 Replies 9

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Satish,

"Netflow" Tool can able to provide the statistics based on your requirement.

Pls refer "Netflow" implementation Manuals in cisco web.

Hope i am Informative ! !

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru ,

Thanks for u r reply...I've gone through Netflow on 6500 switch ..I would like to know if we go for netflow implementation on 6500 which is core switch what could be the cpu utilisation of 6500 ? does it effect 6500 performance ?

Thanks,

satish

c
Level 1
Level 1

You could apply an access list with destination as the suspected ip and check the access-list to see if it shows any "matches" . If you dont want to block you can just permit this ip using the ACL and it should still show the matches.

HTH

Hi ,

Thanks for u r reply.If we apply an access-list we can see only the no.of matches, not the source ip which is accessing that destination ..Am i correct ?

But we need to know the source ip asap and 6500 is the core switch...it is very urgent..

Thanks,

Satish

Satish

If you add the keyword "log" to the end of the line ie.

access-list 101 permit ip any host "destination IP" log

access-list 101 permit ip any any

then you should get the source IP logged. Only log the first line otherwise you'll get flooded.

HTH

Jon

Use the log-input keyword at the end of the access-list

The log-input in the access list will create records in syslog and these records will show the individual destination addresses.

But using netflow would be a better option as this would have less overhead on the router

HTH

Narayan

HI Satish, [RATE All Helpful Posts]

Adding a key-word "log" will not help.

Whereas "NETFLOW" Tool on Core 6500 Device will have a considerable CPU Overhead only neverthless consider the current CPU Load of the Device before the Implementation.

You can actually capture the "Statistics" with the help of "Netflow" tool based on Port-basis where you really require (ie., on Specific Ports where you want to Track / Monitor) rather than running the "Netflow" capture for Entire Switch itself. This is one way of keeping the CPU Overhead in Control while using the "Netflow" Tool.

INFO: Netflow has an feature of scanning the Interfaces for Attacks. By disabling such feature (if not required in your environment means) will help to keep the CPU Overhead of Switch under Control.

Hope i am Informative ! !

RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

c
Level 1
Level 1

Since you already know the destination IP you can give the ACL similar to that given below

access-list 111 permit ip any host destination_ip log

access-list 111 permit ip any any

This should show the source ip in the log.

You mentioned that you can use ip accounting but is there any alternative way...is ip accounting not working? Or you want to be doubly sure?

HTDH*

*(Hope This Doesn't Hurt :-)

I agree that NetFlow would seem to be the optimum choice. It is my understanding that in using NetFlow the aspect that impacts CPU utilization is exporting the flow information. The generation of the flow statistics is mostly a byproduct of the routing process and the CPU required to generate the statistics is pretty low. Since I do not believe that this discussion is suggesting that the flow statistics be exported I believe that the CPU impact is fairly low.

In terms of impact on CPU I would be careful about using the log option on the access list. Depending on the amount of traffic that matches and that would be logged there could be considerable CPU load required for the logging activity. In a previous post Jon suggested logging only the first packet of a session but did not provide details or an example. The logging of the first packet works particularly well for TCP traffic. I would suggest that this version of the access list would give the necessary identification of the source address and minimize the CPU impact:

access-list 101 permit tcp any host

established

access-list 101 permit tcp any host

log

access-list 101 permit ip any any

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: