cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to config an IP address to a port in switch 4507R-E

ssnickson
Level 1
Level 1

I m very new to networking line. I have Cisco 4507R-E as core switch and i have connected to the console to do my intial setup. I have 1 24 port module at 1st slot. I would like to know how to config a IP address to the port? . I have 2 Cisco IP Phone connected to the switch. Need to set the IP for these two IP Phone and need to ping and try the connection. I need it very urgently.Thanks in advance

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ssnickson wrote:

I m very new to networking line. I have Cisco 4507R-E as core switch and i have connected to the console to do my intial setup. I have 1 24 port module at 1st slot. I would like to know how to config a IP address to the port? . I have 2 Cisco IP Phone connected to the switch. Need to set the IP for these two IP Phone and need to ping and try the connection. I need it very urgently.Thanks in advance

With a L3 switch you don't actually assign IP's to ports usually. What you do is to create a vlan and then assign the phones into that vlan so assuming your subnet for the vlan is 192.168.5.0/24

4500(config)# vlan 10

4500(config)# int vlan 10

4500(config-if)# ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

4500(config)# no shut

then on the 2 ports for the ip phones -

int gi0/1

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

spanning-tree portfast

then you allocate an IP address of the 192.168.5.0/24 network to each phone.

Jon

Hi marshall,

THanks for your reply. I have tried the command you have advice

i can set the vlan but when i try to set the ip address for a particular port. I doest allow me to enter 0/1. it always says  % Invalid input detected at marker

and the marker is at 0. What could be the possible error

If the module is in slot 1, then try interface gig/fast 1/?

If the port is L2, then you cannot assign an IP address. Like  Jon mentioned, assign the port to a VLAN

For

"If the module is in slot 1, then try interface gig/fast 1/?

If the port is L2, then you cannot assign an IP address. Like  Jon mentioned, assign the port to a VLAN"

The module is actually in slot 1

i tried using gi0/1 and fast0/1 but it still gives me the same error

when i try help with ?

under gi ?

it only show <1-7>

Use 1/0 1/1 etc, not 0/0 or 0/1

ssnickson wrote:

Hi marshall,

THanks for your reply. I have tried the command you have advice

i can set the vlan but when i try to set the ip address for a particular port. I doest allow me to enter 0/1. it always says  % Invalid input detected at marker

and the marker is at 0. What could be the possible error

Why are you trying to assign an IP to the port ??

Assign an IP to the vlan interface as described and then assign IPs to the phones. If you assign an IP to the port this will not mean that the IP phone has that IP. You need to configure the actual phone with an IP or setup DHCP.

Jon

Hi Marshall,

Meaning to say that ip phone IP address has to be within the VLAN IP range ?

ok my IP Phone Address are

10.10.12.3 and 10.10.12.2 (Default when we connect)

I set the VLAN as 10.10.12.0

So do i need to do anything on the IP Phone ?

or need to do setting in the switch?

ssnickson wrote:

Hi Marshall,

Meaning to say that ip phone IP address has to be within the VLAN IP range ?

ok my IP Phone Address are

10.10.12.3 and 10.10.12.2 (Default when we connect)

I set the VLAN as 10.10.12.0

So do i need to do anything on the IP Phone ?

or need to do setting in the switch?

You don't need to config anything on a switch. You need to either config the phone itself to have a static IP or you need to seup DHCP so the phone can get an address. The phone should have interface that allows you to set the IP or tell it to use DHCP.

Jon

markiy071384
Level 1
Level 1

You might consider this. Just issue a "no switchport " I did this on layer 3 switch. And it will not work on layer 2 switch.

Here is the sample.

Switch(config)#int giga2/0/1

Switch(config)#no switchport

Switch(config)#ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

@ssnickson wrote:

You can see also the sample command on this website.

https://www.networkpointview.com/2018/10/intervlan-routing-on-layer-3-cisco.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco