Helpful
Replies

how to configure a route path to an ip address - urgent help

julxu
Level 1
Level 1

HI

I have a router configure as BGP.

there is a trunk port G1/0/12, with vlan 101 as management subent (without routing) and vlan 1234 as route subnet to route xxx.xxx.203.0/24 to routerA.

now,I would like to make vlan 101 as route subnet and only route one ip address xxx.xxx.203.35 to router B

I want to:

subnet xxx.xxx.203.0/24 -> routerA, 

route 0.0.0.0/0 on routeA -> this router

ip address xxx.xxx.203.35->routerB

route yyy.yyy.123.12  on routerB -> this router

basically, I want traffic xxx.xxx.203.35 and yyy.yyy.123.12 go through router B not routerA.

Could you please advice if it is possible? if so, how to configure it? ether static router or bgp?

Any comments will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Julxu

5 Replies 5

Sunil Bhadauria
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Julxu ,

Can you share topology diagram in this case ?

Regards

Sunil Bhadauria

Sunil

I have attached a draft. and tested to configure static routes succesfully. trace the subnet and the ip all are currect.

But, just confuse about, if the route of the whole subnet still to go FW, does it means all traffic will go to firewall?

If possible, that only routing or first few packets go through FW and the rest will directly connecte between routerC and routerB for other traffic, not only xxx.xxx.203.35?

if so, can I stop them by adding some ACL? to force traffic of rest other IPs to go FW?

the reason is I found the packets into routerC input  interface is double amount of the interface for another end. where the rest traffic goes?

Any comments will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Julxu

Hello Julxu ,

Hope you are doing good . I must accept that I am really confused with topology and not very sure about the concerns . 

When you say " route subnet to route xxx.xxx.203.0/24 to routerA " , I understand you are advertising this route towards router A ? But then there is no routing protocol between C and A ?

Similar situation with other detail as well . 

I would request you to provide me end to end details of the setup, along with which device has what ip address and the direction of traffic flow etc ( complete control-plane information ).

Now regarding open question in recent post :

I have attached a draft. and tested to configure static routes succesfully. trace the subnet and the ip all are currect.

But, just confuse about, if the route of the whole subnet still to go FW, does it means all traffic will go to firewall?

If possible, that only routing or first few packets go through FW and the rest will directly connecte between routerC and routerB for other traffic, not only xxx.xxx.203.35?

"

I am not sure what static route you added and where but as per question guessing that you added static routes for more specific prefix . To answer your query Router will always send packet using closest match to destination ip address in packet ( most specific route  ).

Hope this answers the concern .

HTH

Sunil Bhadauria

Hi sunil

route C<>A<>B<> are using BGP,

route which I use for testing, between CB is static route as:

create a vlan 10.1.1.204/30 on both C and B. this one trunked with managemnt vlan.

router B has address 10.1.1.205 and C has ip 10.1.1.206.

than configure static route as:

router<C> ip route yyy.yyy.yyy.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.206

router<B> ip route xxx.xxx.203.35 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.205

it seems work for me. the traceroute between yyy.yyy.yyy.50 is displayed correct pass to reach xxx.xxx.203.35. I guess the real traffic will followed the path traceroute showwed, am I right?

for second question, thanks for your confirm. it is great to know.

Many Regards

Julxu

To answer your question , yes real traffic will follow same path as traceroute does in normal scenario .

Regards

Sunil Bhadauria 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card