cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure Linksys SRW2024P switch?

ecvillarosa
Level 1
Level 1

The existing network structure of our vessel when i get onboard is detailed below:

/---- Bridge Switch SRW2024P (SW2)

|

VSAT            CDM570                                       5-Port                                              LinkSys         |-----Level4 Swtich SRW2024P (SW3)

Antenna  ------ Satellite ------ CISCO 2811 -------  Unmanaged -------  Barracuda   -------  SRW2024P ----- |  

Controller         Modem           Router           (1)    Switch     (2)     Web Filter 310          Switch            |-----Level2 Switch SRW2024P (SW4)

(SW0)                                              (SW1)             |

\-----Main Deck Switch SRW2024P (SW5)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

512Kbps downlink and uplink.

60+ concurrent connections during peak hours

The first thing that catched my attention was the 5-port Unmanaged Switch. According to the offsigning IT, this device is for IT-related use, specifically to bypass the firewall, such as plugging-in a laptop for downloading of drivers, etc.

As per monitoring, the performance of internet access during office hours is quite good, except during peak hours 6pm to 10pm where all crew are on online. During this period, the speed of internet for both WIFI and LAN is so slow that sometimes viewing of emails is compromised.

I tried to replacing the mentioned switch with spare SRW2024P (the only spare switch that we have onboard) and the performance, apparently, has no improvement. The reasons why I switch to SRW2024P are the features, it has Link Aggregate providing Fault Tolerant link between 2 switches, QoS, PoE, and other stuff.  Being curious about managing a switch, I started looking for valuable information on the web on the configuration procedures and I ended up playing with the settings of LAG - Link Aggregation. I created 1 LAG for Port 1 and another for Port 2. Port 1 connects to CISCO2811 and Port 2 connects to Barracuda Firewall, as indicated in the diagram above. Accordingly, I found myself in the VLAN area and did some config, which I do not know if I am in the right track.

Please be informed that this is my first attempt to configure a managed switch. And other stuff are too dark for me to digest.

Finally, I saved everything and rebooted the switch. Surprisingly, the download speed showed a tremendous improvement and its really awesome that webpages are painted at once. However, there is a noticeable delay or wait state before the webpage is displayed. Apparently, the delay is in the request, and once the website has responded, the entire web page is presented pretty fast. Also, I tested the download performance using www.speedtest.net and the result is pretty bad. Before, during regular office hour, speedtest gave me 300kbps to 410kbps. But now, I have only 140 to 210Kbps. But the overall performance as of today is faster than before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My questions are:

1. Can anybody explain further (in layman) the operational concept of this Link Aggregate? When applied to cascading of switches, what is the best configuration?

2. In the LAG configuration, what is this Flow Control? Autonegotiation? LAG Storm Control Mode? and most especially the Threshold? I noticed that by default the Threshold is set to 64. What is the effect of setting this field to maximum (1000000)?

3. What is Trunking under VLAN. What are the benefits of setting the port as Trunking? I haven't ask for the VLAN because I do not know this stuff yet.

4. In normal switches such us SW2, SW3, SW4 & SW5, what is the best configuration for those ports where computers are connected at.

5. I spent plenty of time looking for documentation for this switch or related switches concerning DEPLOYMENT Configuration Guides, but to no avail. Where can I find such guides.

Appreciate your positive advise/comments on the above situation.

Below are the screen shuts of what I did.

SRW2024P_LAG.jpg

10_0_0_3_LAG_DET.JPG

10_0_0_3_LAG_DET2.JPG

SRW2024P_VLAN1.jpg

SRW2024P_VLAN2.jpg

The Body cannot Live without the Mind.
2 Replies 2

ecvillarosa
Level 1
Level 1

I just wanted to know if what i've done is correct. Does trunking can be applied to cascading switches? I really appreciate your honest comment.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

1. Can anybody explain further (in layman) the operational concept of this Link Aggregate? When applied to cascading of switches, what is the best configuration?

Link aggregation allows you to bundle multiple physical links together for additional bandwidth and resiliency. To be honest, if your throughput is 512Kbps total then using link aggregation is not going to improve your WAN speed, although it will provide some resiliency as a result of a link failure. The physical links you have will likely be 100mb so using link aggregation will allow you to bundle two of these 100mb links together to form a 200mb Port Channel. This will obviously double your bandwidth between those devices but its never going to improve the major bottleneck which is the 512Kbps WAN connection.

2. In the LAG configuration, what is this Flow Control? Autonegotiation? LAG Storm Control Mode? and most especially the Threshold? I noticed that by default the Threshold is set to 64. What is the effect of setting this field to maximum (1000000)?

The best thing to do is Google each of these things and have a read as its a lot to explain.

3. What is Trunking under VLAN. What are the benefits of setting the port as Trunking? I haven't ask for the VLAN because I do not know this stuff yet.

Trunking from a Cisco perspective is the ability to connect two switches together and pass traffic from multiple VLANS between them. Say for example you had Vlans 10,20 and 30 on two different switches. If you wanted hosts in those three Vlans to communicate with hosts on the same Vlan on a second switch, you would need a Trunk link between the switches to enable this. A trunk link effectively 'Tags' each Frame with a corresponding VLAN ID so when another switch recieves this Frame, it can read the tag and know what Vlan its part of.

Other switch manufacturers such as Netgear and HP use the word 'Trunking' for a different pupose but as this is a Linksys switch, I suspect it follows Cisco rules in terms of what Trunking means.

4. In normal switches such us SW2, SW3, SW4 & SW5, what is the best configuration for those ports where computers are connected at.

They should be set as Access Ports which are part of a corresponding Vlan.

5. I spent plenty of time looking for documentation for this switch or related switches concerning DEPLOYMENT Configuration Guides, but to no avail. Where can I find such guides.

There is no 'All in One' guide as each manufacturer varies. If you can learn the basics of Networking such as VLANS, Spanning tree, the difference between and Access and a Trunk port etc then you should be able to configure switches from any manufacturers as a lot of features are industry standard anyway and the ones that are not tend to be available on all switches, they just call them different things sometimes.

I work for a company who regularly deals with large marine Vessels so have experience with how their networks can differ from traditional office ones

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card