Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to configure port for Hypervisor

Hi Guys,

Our system Administration team create 1 hypervisor VMware server. Now they want to create more VMs on same machine but in different VLANs.

What configuration required to do on my 6506-E Core Switch.

Here is what I did which didn't work. If I do switchport mode access, hypervisor server becomes accessible but I do it in trunk mode I can't ping hypervior server. Please help.

interface GigabitEthernet3/29

switchport

switchport access vlan 33

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,33,222

switchport mode trunk

load-interval 30

speed 1000

duplex full

no snmp trap link-status

Hypervisor Server IP : 10.1.33.21

Everyone's tags (7)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to configure port for Hypervisor

I seem to remember something about VMware not supporting the dot1q trunk and wanted the port to be configured using "mode on".

The physical NIC in the hyper visor needs to be carved out and all VLANs besides the native need to be tagged.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

4 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Hi,

Are these vlans created on the VM.  If yes, the ESX needs to be configured as trunk with dot1q also.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&externalId=1003825

Also,

Since the port is a trunk port, you don't this command anymore

switchport access vlan 33

HTH

Hi Reza,

VLANs are created on Cisco Switch. but yes on ESX Server there are VMs created in different VLANs

I seem to remember something about VMware not supporting the dot1q trunk and wanted the port to be configured using "mode on".

The physical NIC in the hyper visor needs to be carved out and all VLANs besides the native need to be tagged.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks,

Problem solved.

Issue was native vlan was also in same group.

So this helped: ->

Thanks a lot

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content