cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect two 1760's together via WIC-1DSU-T1

MustangTim
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought two 1760's off eBay to create a home lab.  I would like to connect them together but am not sure how.  Instead of Wic T1 cards that connect with a serial cable, they are using a WIC-1DSU-T1 cards that have ethernet ports. 

I havent been able to find out much about these except that they connect with something called a T Crossover cable.  I assume this is just an ethernet cable with the pins connected in a certain way but am not sure.  Are these the same as a standard cross over ethernet cable or something else?

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Those are not ethernet ports they are RJ-48's

Pin Assignments for a RJ-48S Jack  Connector.

CSU/DSU RJ-48S Cable Pin  outs

Pin Number

Definition

R1, transmit ring to network

T1, transmit tip to network

(not used)

(not used)

(not used)

(not used)

T, receive tip from network

R, receive ring from network

Pin Assignments of a cable with  both ends terminated with RJ-48S connectors

you can cross them over, and have one device originate clock, and the other one slaved to the line

Excellent thanks, but the thing I am confused on is the data sheet for the WIC-1DSU-T1 states that the port is an RJ-45.  What is the difference between that and a RJ-48?  Is it the same connector as it looks the same as any other RJ-45.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_tech_note09186a00801f5d89.shtml

Also a few other sites I have been to point to being able to create this "T1 Cross over cable" from standard eithernet cable by just chaing the pin outs.

Tim

I have created T1 cross over cables using regular Ethernet connectors (with appropriate pins crossed) and it worked fine. What catches a lot of people who are attempting to connect T1 back to back is that it looks like Ethernet but an Ethernet cross over cable does not work. It is different pins crossed for T1 cross over.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card