cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to copy router config via console port t your PC

uzmausmani
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to copy the running config of my router for backup before I make changes to it. I've connected my laptop to the router via hyperterminal-console port. I have a tftp server running. when I do a ping to my tftp server IP(which is also my laptop IP) there is nothing. so it doesnt even see the tftp server. HELP!!!! when I do a copy start tftp it keeps timing out!!

7 Replies 7

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

Is the router interface to which the laptop is connected have a state of Up/Up?

Are the laptop and router interface on the same network (defined by the mask, not the physical interface)?

Do you have ACLs on the router prohibiting both ICMP ping, and TFTP connections (outbound and return path required)?

Do you have a personal firewall installed on the laptop that is prohibiting both ICMP ping, and TFTP connection initiation?

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I would shut down the TFTP program and then restart it, most TFTP will show their IP address for you so you can enter it when transfering files. Can you ping the router from your PC? are there any filters on the router that could cause this problem. If you have a console session going you can copy the config to a text file by clicking the tranfer tab on the top of the screen, then capture text and save it to your desktop, this should work even if your TFTP is giving you a problem.

see the document below. HTH

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/prod_release_note09186a00800810f3.html

jeff.hardee
Level 1
Level 1

Beyond Michael's questions, if you can get to the router then simply start logging with the terminal program (Transfer - Capture Text) and do a "show run", or do a "show run" and then copy/paste to a text file. You may want to use a different terminal program like SecureCRT though, simply as a better program for accessing devices.

--Jeff

If you follow Jeff's suggestion, you might want to download a document from the Cisco web site titled: Capturing Text Output from Hyperterminal, Document ID: Document ID: 17521

It references using the Cisco command "terminal length 0", which permits the console to scroll, even if you do not press the space bar after every screen.

Might produce cleaner output.

khero_adiga
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Uzmausmani,

I guess your problem is related to one of the following:

1:the IP subnet between your TFTP and your interface connected to it differ on each end.

2:you didnt make the right cabling which should be Rollover cable structure.

http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/compass/common/tasks/task_console_port_connect.htm

3:Ensure HyperTerminal is setup using the correct speed -- 9600 Baud

Hope it helps

khero

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have to ask this , you say you are in the console port , you aren't going to be able to ping your or tftp to your pc unless you have a cabled connection to a port on the router that is in the same address space . I know this sounds obvious but you don't indicate you are plugged into the in anything other than the console port.Also make sure if you have a FW on your pc it is off.

Brian Stroka
Level 1
Level 1

I know I'm digging up an ancient thread, but ran across it while searching for a solution to another problem and wanted to offer a potential solution for anyone searching for a similar problem.  As Michael Leblanc said, it looks like you are only connected to your router via the console port.  In order to be able to ping, you have to have a LAN connection to an interface on the router as well.  If you don't have a LAN connection, it would explain why you wouldn't be able to ping it, as the console port doesn't have a nIP address and doesn't use ICMP.  Having a LAN connection to the router is achieved by either a: being on a network of the router, or b: if the router isn't on the network, statically assigning your LAN port an IP address within the range of the IP address and mask of the router.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: