cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to decrypt md5

marcusbrutus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Is there a software that would allow me to decrypt a md5 hash appearing on my run-config? We are having some password issues and i was thinking of a way to decrypt a password appearing on a saved config text without having to go through the typical password recovery.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Mark,

I don't believe the MD5 hash passwords are able to be decrypted (like the "7" passwords). The only way I know of to break a MD5 password is brute force. It looks like a password recovery would be your best option in this case.

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Mark,

I don't believe the MD5 hash passwords are able to be decrypted (like the "7" passwords). The only way I know of to break a MD5 password is brute force. It looks like a password recovery would be your best option in this case.

HTH,

Mark

You could use John the Ripper, but like Mark said, it will only brute force and it can take FOREVER.

It would take a lot less time to do the password recovery.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Create a TAC Case. I have heard quiet rumours in the past that Cisco has a tool to un-encrypt MD5 passwords.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card