Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

how to decrypt md5

Hi. Is there a software that would allow me to decrypt a md5 hash appearing on my run-config? We are having some password issues and i was thinking of a way to decrypt a password appearing on a saved config text without having to go through the typical password recovery.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: how to decrypt md5

Mark,

I don't believe the MD5 hash passwords are able to be decrypted (like the "7" passwords). The only way I know of to break a MD5 password is brute force. It looks like a password recovery would be your best option in this case.

HTH,

Mark

3 REPLIES

Mark,

I don't believe the MD5 hash passwords are able to be decrypted (like the "7" passwords). The only way I know of to break a MD5 password is brute force. It looks like a password recovery would be your best option in this case.

HTH,

Mark

You could use John the Ripper, but like Mark said, it will only brute force and it can take FOREVER.

It would take a lot less time to do the password recovery.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Create a TAC Case. I have heard quiet rumours in the past that Cisco has a tool to un-encrypt MD5 passwords.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content