Views
Helpful
Replies

how to delete a file in flash on 2600

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody.

I want to delete the first file c2600-i-mz.122-5d in the flash. Not only delete but also reclaim the memory held by deleted file I.

I followed a link and i ended up with the c2600-i-mz.122-5d marked as deleted in the flash but the memory was not reclaimed.

When I restarted the router, it went to ROMMON mode. This is my understanding when router tried to boot from the flash, It tried to load the first file in the flash. Since the file was marked as deleted therefore Router went to ROMMON mode.

Now my question is how could I delete the first file and reclaim the memory on 2600 router?

System flash directory:

File  Length   Name/status

1   5248524  c2600-i-mz.122-5d

2   24752244  c2600-ipvoice-ivs-mz.124-9.T.bin

[30000896 bytes used, 3553536 available, 33554432 total]

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

thanks and have a great weekend.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can free your flash that way:

del flash:/c2600-i-mz.122-5d

squeeze flash:

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

View solution in original post

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You should use squeeze command. Note, though, that on Cisco 2600 or Cisco 3600 series routers, the entire file system needs to be erased once (erase command) before the squeeze command can be used. After being erased once, the  squeeze command should operate properly on the Flash file system for the rest of the Flash file system's history.

Check here for detailed explanations:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/fun/command/reference/fft201.html#wp1018610

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately the squeeze Command will erase the entire flash and not just one file. Here is what you can do:

Run TFTP server on your laptop or PC (solarwinds is free and good), connect your router to your laptop directly.

make sure the interface connecting to the PC is in up and up mode (sh ip int bri faxx)

download the image you want to the tftp server, make sure the tftp server can communicate with the router.

Now, you can erase and squeeze the flash. Once that is done and you regain all the space in your flash, you can now load the image from the tftp server to the router. If everything loads fine you can reboot the router.

Just remember NOT to reboot the router after you erase and squeeze the flash until you load the new IOS.

Since the 2600 series is very old, be careful and make sure you have enough memory, and flash for whatever image you are trying to load. 

HTH

Reza

Sarah,

BTW, since you are saving money to buy 2600 routers, try to get 2600XM series.  They come usually with more memory and flash and you can load a later version of IOS on them compare to the regular 2600.  Overall more functionally.  There shouldn't be much of a difference in price.  A good place to look is Ebay.

Also, here is the data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/product_data_sheet0900aecd800fa5be.html

If you have enough $$$$ 2800 series are much better devices, but with 2600 you can do most of basic routing functions.

HTH

8 Replies 8

You can free your flash that way:

del flash:/c2600-i-mz.122-5d

squeeze flash:

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You should use squeeze command. Note, though, that on Cisco 2600 or Cisco 3600 series routers, the entire file system needs to be erased once (erase command) before the squeeze command can be used. After being erased once, the  squeeze command should operate properly on the Flash file system for the rest of the Flash file system's history.

Check here for detailed explanations:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/fun/command/reference/fft201.html#wp1018610

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hi Ivan Shirshin and Karsten

Router#squeeze /nolog flash:

%Warning: If power is lost or the card is removed before the squeeze

completes, all the data on the flash would be lost and the device

will have to be reformatted.

Squeeze operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]

%Error squeezing flash ()

Router# first create squeeze log by erasing the entire device

On Cisco 2600 or Cisco 3600 series routers, the entire file system needs to be erased once before the

squeeze command can be used

Problem is I have to erase whole flash before I could use squeeze command. I want to delete only one file and keep the rest. How could do it? Any good idea.?

Here is my plan:

1) Use the boot system command tftp ( file name)

2) erase the whole flash

3) use Squeeze command

4) Load the file into flash from tftp

I just want to confirm If I am on right track.

thanks

Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately the squeeze Command will erase the entire flash and not just one file. Here is what you can do:

Run TFTP server on your laptop or PC (solarwinds is free and good), connect your router to your laptop directly.

make sure the interface connecting to the PC is in up and up mode (sh ip int bri faxx)

download the image you want to the tftp server, make sure the tftp server can communicate with the router.

Now, you can erase and squeeze the flash. Once that is done and you regain all the space in your flash, you can now load the image from the tftp server to the router. If everything loads fine you can reboot the router.

Just remember NOT to reboot the router after you erase and squeeze the flash until you load the new IOS.

Since the 2600 series is very old, be careful and make sure you have enough memory, and flash for whatever image you are trying to load. 

HTH

Reza

Sarah,

BTW, since you are saving money to buy 2600 routers, try to get 2600XM series.  They come usually with more memory and flash and you can load a later version of IOS on them compare to the regular 2600.  Overall more functionally.  There shouldn't be much of a difference in price.  A good place to look is Ebay.

Also, here is the data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/product_data_sheet0900aecd800fa5be.html

If you have enough $$$$ 2800 series are much better devices, but with 2600 you can do most of basic routing functions.

HTH

Thanks Reza.

I just bought 4 routers and one cisco 3500 XL switch for my CCNA( voice lab). I am just setting up the lab right now. Once I am done with CCNP( Routing), the lab will be ready for CCNA(voice). Thanks for your advice though.

Have a great weekend. If you are in States( I think you are), happy labor day!

Thanks Sarah,

Yes, I am in the States.  You have a happy labor day and a nice long weekend

Reza

At least the switch isn't a good choice then. The XL-switches have nothing in common with modern switches when it comes to QoS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco