Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to deploy HSRP for two vlan?

Hi All,

I am fresh experience on using Layer 3 switch. Would anyone can teach me how to deploy HSRP with my situtation on below?

1. My layer 3 switch is Cisco Catalyst 3560v2 Series.

2. I have one subnet on remote site, 10.0.6.0/24.

3. I have two router for subnet, 10.0.6.251 (Connected on switch port fa0/1) and 10.0.6.252 (Connected on switch port fa0/2).

4. Virtual IP gateway for HSRP, 10.0.6.253.

I would like to deploy HSRP for this subnet. I am planning to create a vlan for this subnet, vlan1 for 10.0.6.0/24 (SVI of vlan1 is 10.0.6.250). Then using HSRP virtual gateway 10.0.6.253 for this subnet.

When I try follow the user manaul to deploy this, I always recieve a alert of "10.0.6.253 overlaps with Vlan1" after I enter below command.

Cisco3560>enable

Cisco3560#config terminal

Cisco3560<config>#interface fa0/1

Cisco3560<config-if>#no switchport

Cisco3560<config-if>#standby 1 ip 10.0.6.253

% 10.0.6.253 overlaps witch Vlan1

Please help me. Thank you.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Kenneat,

The HSRP would normally be configured on the SVIs for the VLAN you want to provide gateway redundancy for, and physical ports into that VLAN would be configured as access mode switchports. But as you described your network, it appears there are additional routers between your Catalyst 3560 and the destination network. That makes me confused. Can you perhaps post a short picture of how the Cat3560 are connected to that destination network with the two additional routers you have mentioned? This is important; HSRP must always be configured on those routing devices which are directly connected to the destination network and not on farther routers.

Best regards,

Peter

Re: How to deploy HSRP for two vlan?

Hi Peter,

Please see the following photo of my network:

Current Setting:

Plan Setting:

I don't know that does my planning is possible. I plan to combine two subnet 10.0.6.0 and 10.0.7.0 .

In addition, for router A and B, I cannot easy to edit the configure as these routers are holded by the ISP proivder. Does the HSRP is not only set on the Cisco 3560v2 switch? Or need to set on the router that which router support HSRP?

Cisco Employee

Hi Kenneat,

In your second scenario, after you combine the two subnets into a single 10.0.6.0/24 space (and a single LAN/VLAN, of course), HSRP would need to be run on the Router A and Router B as they are the gateways out of 10.0.6.0/24 network. The Cat3560 in your network is not in the position of a gateway, and so has no reason of running HSRP itself.

I do not know if your routers A and B are Cisco routers. If they are, they probably support HSRP. If they are not, then they perhaps support VRRP which is a similar but open gateway redundancy protocol.

In any case, in your current network, there is no use for HSRP on your Cat3560, and in fact, the Cat3560 is in the position of a Layer2-only switch here. There is no reason to configure its Fa0/1 and Fa0/2 ports with no switchport and assign IP addresses.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,

Peter

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content