Views
Helpful
Replies

how to disable auto- negotiation on port

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I just want to know how one can disable the auto-negotiation on switch's port? My book says configuring speed and duplex will disable the auto-negotiation.But i read somewhere auto-negotiation is disabled by configuring duplex mode.

thanks a lot!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

Auto-negotiation is primarily concerned with duplex and not speed. If you disable auto-negotiation then the switch can still detect the speed based on the incoming electrical signal.

I have always worked on the assumption that if you want to disable auto-negotiation you should configure both speed and duplex explicitly.

Jon

View solution in original post

Sarah

"I also belived that auto-negotiation only help decides the duplex mode."

Sorry if i gave you the wrong impression. Auto-negotiation uses Fast link Pulses (FLP) to determine both the duplex AND the speed.

However if auto-negotiation is disabled then duplex cannot be discovered ie. it must be hardcoded, but speed can be detected using other means eg. the incoming electrical signal.

So a better way to put it -

auto-negotiation on = duplex and speed both determined using FLP.

auto-negotiation off - duplex cannot be detected but speed can using different method.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

Auto-negotiation is primarily concerned with duplex and not speed. If you disable auto-negotiation then the switch can still detect the speed based on the incoming electrical signal.

I have always worked on the assumption that if you want to disable auto-negotiation you should configure both speed and duplex explicitly.

Jon

Thanks Jon!

I also belived that auto-negotiation only help decides the duplex mode. The speed can be determined either by ftp of auto-negotiation process or by simply electrial signals received from the port.

But then i found the following link which shows both speed and duplex mode are decided by auto-ngotiation process. please see the technology ability field in the link.

http://www.iol.unh.edu/services/testing/ge/training/1000BASE-T/ANEG_brief.php

===============================

Sarah

"I also belived that auto-negotiation only help decides the duplex mode."

Sorry if i gave you the wrong impression. Auto-negotiation uses Fast link Pulses (FLP) to determine both the duplex AND the speed.

However if auto-negotiation is disabled then duplex cannot be discovered ie. it must be hardcoded, but speed can be detected using other means eg. the incoming electrical signal.

So a better way to put it -

auto-negotiation on = duplex and speed both determined using FLP.

auto-negotiation off - duplex cannot be detected but speed can using different method.

Jon

Thanks Jon! you are very articulate as usual.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco