cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to enter initial setup program again for catalyst 2950 switches

muhammadmirza
Level 1
Level 1

I am a new user and I have an unconfigured catalyst 2950 - 24 ports switches. The IOS is 12.1(13)EA1. I'm trying to

configure the switch by connecting a PC to the console port of the switch. I have set up the terminal-emulation program (ms HyperTerminal). When the first time I power on the switch the setup program appeared. I followed the steps as describeb in CATALYST 2950 SWITCH HARDWARE INSTALLATION GUIDE Section Configuring the Switch with the CLI-Based Setup Program. But I think I made mistake because I didn't complete the setup as explained. I did the following

1. Enter Yes at this prompt: Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: yes

2. Enter No at this prompt: Would you like to enter basic management setup? [yes/no]: no

3. Enter/typed a host name for the switch.

4. Enter/typed an enable secret password.

5. Enter/typed an enable password

6. Enter a virtual terminal (Telnet) password, and press Return.

7. I typed "no" at this prompt: Configure SNMP Network Management? [no]: no

8. I Enter interface name used to connect to the management network from the above interface summary: vlan1

9. Next I should Configure the interface by entering the switch IP address and subnet mask but at this points I didn't enter IP address etc.

Configuring interface vlan1:

Configure IP on this interface? [yes]: But I enter "no"

IP address for this interface: I just press enter

Subnet mask for this interface: I just press enter

10. Enter No at this prompt: Would you like to enable as a cluster command switch? [yes/no]: no

After all the switch displays that configuration (configuration resume).

Next I just press enter at this step when these choices appear:

[0] Go to the IOS command prompt without saving this config.

[1] Return back to the setup without saving this config.

[2] Save this configuration to nvram and exit

After it flash_init> prompt appear on the screen and I don't know what command to type.

I need help how to enter setup program again. Is it possible?

note: If I interrupt the boot process the switch: prompt appears but I also don't know what to do to fix the problem (some

command also denying me to proceed)

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

On switch: prompt enter "boot" command and let us bring the switch up first and then once you are on exec prompt you can enter ip address through your console connection.

HTH

Ankur

I have tried enter "boot" command. The boot process is OK but why I cannot see exec prompt. After booting I see a continous blinking cursor. If I press enter the flash_init> appear again. Should I wait until it come on exec prompt event it takes for a long time?

I have tried enter "boot" command. The boot process is OK but why I cannot see exec prompt. After booting I see a continous blinking cursor. If I press enter the flash_init> appear again. Should I wait until it come on exec prompt event it takes for a long time?

Hi Friend,

I haven't see this prompt anytime on switches. So lets try this thing when you switch is in switch: prompt enter 3 command one by one and update the status

flash_init

load_helper

boot

Regards,

Ankur

Hello there,

I've resolved the problem. I renamed the configuration file to config.text.old and then boot the system. Next, I was prompted to start the setup program. Finally I completed the setup until the switch> prompt appeared.

Ankur thanks for your quick initial response to my problem.

regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card