Views
Helpful
Replies

How to figure aggregate throughput of 6509

pstuder
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Is there a way to figure the total amount of traffic that is passing through a 6500? I have a switch that is serving as a collapsed backbone w/ about 35 VLAN's defined on it. I am preparing to install NAC but may have to install it in-band (gag) since we have a lot of old switches that are unsupported for out-of-band. I am trying to find out if the aggregate traffic for this switch exceeds the 1Gb connection that it will be restricted to if we go w/ the in-band solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick

4 Replies 4

ralphcarter
Level 1
Level 1

I would run something free like Cacti + SNMP on the 6500s and then you can see what the bandwidth used over time and make a better determination.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com

We are looking at using MRTG ... I did not know if there was anything that was internal to IOS .. .you know, some hidden command or some new command of which I am not aware. I just wanted to try that before we started using some third party application.

Thanks!

Cacti is a free monitoring tool, snmp has to be enabled on the switch.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com

good deal. Thanks for the info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card