cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get multicast to work between 6509 and 3524?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

We have a client on a 3524 switch that needs to join a multicast group. The 3524 is connected to a port on a 6509 port which is a L3 port. The 6509 does have PIM and ip sparse-mode configured on the port that the 3524 is connected to, but the 3524 doesn not do IGMP - it is CGMP only and the client is not able to join the MC group.

Is this a case where configuring the command 'ip cgmp proxy' on the 6509 port connected to the 3524 will help?

If not, how do I get the client on the 3524 to join a MC group through the 6509?

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you configure L2<->L2 between the 6509 and the 3524 instead of L3<->L2 ?

Extending the Vlan down to the 3524 should provide connectivity to the MCast groups.

Can the workstation ping the MCast groups ?

HTH,

__

Edison.

Is that just a matter of changing the 6509 port to a switch port, and creating an L3 interface vlan and assigning that to the port?

Here is the current config - the 3524 is actually connected to two 6509s for redundancy so there is a glpb portion of the config:

interface GigabitEthernet2/2

description SW3524-mngmt F0/23

ip address xxx.xx.43.2 255.255.255.128

ip pim sparse-mode

mls qos trust dscp

glbp 1 ip xxx.xx.43.1

glbp 1 priority 110

glbp 1 preempt

Would I change it to this to make it a L2 interface?

interface GigabitEthernet2/2

description SW3524-mngmt F0/23

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

int vlan 10

ip address xxx.xx.43.2 255.255.255.128

ip pim sparse-mode

mls qos trust dscp

glbp 1 ip xxx.xx.43.1

glbp 1 priority 110

glbp 1 preempt

Change all ports of the 3524 to vlan 10.

The workstation can ping the server that is sending out the MC stream, but I didn't try to see if if could ping the MC group address.

Is that just a matter of changing the 6509 port to a switch port, and creating an L3 interface vlan and assigning that to the port?

Yes

The workstation can ping the server that is sending out the MC stream, but I didn't try to see if if could ping the MC group address.

Give that a try. If the workstation is able to ping the MCast group, then we may look into an application issue.

HTH,

__

Edison.

I'll work that side of it. So you don't think this is a CGMP/IGMP issue?

CGMP and IGMP is for controlling MCast traffic in a switched environment so it doesn't flood every switchport. It should not prevent from a client joining a group.

You can have a hub a MCast environment and they don't run IGMP nor CGMP. MCast traffic is treated as broadcast on those conditions.

You're are right! I wasn't thinking clearly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: