Replies

How to get Windows Server 2008R2 to pickup NTP from the Cisco GW

Hi all,

I have configured my 1841 to pickup ntp service as below:

scheduler allocate 20000 1000

ntp clock-period 17178609

ntp update-calendar

ntp server 130.88.200.4

and my switch to set the time locally from the above router on its Fa0/0 port as below:

ntp clock-period 17179885

ntp server 192.168.2.1

end

All the above is working as should be...

But i cant get my windows 2008R2 server to pickup the time from the GW Router (above) on the 192.168.2.1 IP, is there anthing that i need to do on the router to enable this? i have tried setting ntp broadcast on the fa0/0 port on the router but again the sever couldnt pick any time details up. Im not sure if this is possible, as i haven't seen this setup in any production enviroments!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've remembered recently that this cannot be achieved as there's some "mis-communication" between Cisco IOS and Windows OS regarding NTP/SNTP.

In my humble opinion, if I may, nominate one (or two) servers to go across the internet to synchronize on an authorized stratum 1 or 2 server and let the rest of your severs synchronize with this.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've remembered recently that this cannot be achieved as there's some "mis-communication" between Cisco IOS and Windows OS regarding NTP/SNTP.

In my humble opinion, if I may, nominate one (or two) servers to go across the internet to synchronize on an authorized stratum 1 or 2 server and let the rest of your severs synchronize with this.

Thanks for the reply Leo,

I thought as mutch! I have my servers set to sync with a stratum 1 at the moment.

Do you happen to know if  Linux distros can NTP sync with Cisco devices?

Do you happen to know if  Linux distros can NTP sync with Cisco devices? 

I must say I haven't tried this out.  I have a niggling suspicion it may work.  Just ensure you have both NTP and SNTP settings turned on and get Linux ntpdaemon enabled.

Thanks for the update Eugen, This is how i currently have my servers setup.

Paul

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card