Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Isolate Fiber Port Traffic

jeremy.venlet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We would like to setup a link to our DR site that is separate from our main network traffic.  This link will be used by an EMC VNX SAN for replication traffic.  The SAN will be plugged into a fiber port on a 3750 switch and going out from the same switch (going in as multimode, going out as single mode) into a patch panel that runs over to the DR site (about a mile away).  At the DR site it will go from the fiber panel into another 3750 switch which ends up going back out of that switch into our DR SAN.

I'm wondering what the best way would be to configure the fiber ports to accomplish this.  I'm affraid that the replication traffic will find it's way over through another route and congest our main network unless configured appropriately.

Thanks,

Jeremy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeremy,

you can use a VRF to build a logically separated routing table on the C3750 boxes

you will have the involved interfaces associated to the VRF, and the traffic will be kept isolated from the rest of the network.

ip vrf SAN

rd 100:100

interface x/y

ip vrf forwarding SAN

! you need to reconfigure the IP address

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sga/configuration/guide/vrf.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeremy,

you can use a VRF to build a logically separated routing table on the C3750 boxes

you will have the involved interfaces associated to the VRF, and the traffic will be kept isolated from the rest of the network.

ip vrf SAN

rd 100:100

interface x/y

ip vrf forwarding SAN

! you need to reconfigure the IP address

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sga/configuration/guide/vrf.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks so much for your reply.  I've never used VRF's before, I'll take a look into the guide.  We do have our own private fiber from our main site to the DR site.  Would there be a way to use VLAN's to do this?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

VRF lite actually means using per VRF Vlans on L2 trunks, so the answer is yes, you will add a Vlan X on the link between main site and DR site and the SVI of that Vlan X will be associated to the VRF on the C3750 devices.

You may need also static routes in VRF to route between the sites

something like

ip route vrf SAN 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0  vlanX

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Great, thanks for expanding on that.  I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco