how to know the memeory of the router ?

Dr.X
Level 2
Level 2

hi , if i type the command sh ver :

917504K/65536K bytes of memory.

wts the meaning of the output ???

why it is as number/number ??

wt does that  mean & how to calculate the memory value of the router ??

should i sum the two number and divide by 1000 and the result will be memroy in mega ??

regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ahmed,

yes you have to sum both values and get the total. DRAM is divided logically, combining the two numbers determines total DRAM.

Cisco <platform-processor-type> processor (revision <processor-revision-id>) with 
<free-DRAM-memory>K/<packet-memory>K bytes of memory.

this link could help you (scroll down to see examples):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_s4.html#wp1499591

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

View solution in original post

Hi Ahmed,

The first number is how much memory there is available for software, and the second number is how much memory there is available for I/O.  To get the megabyte, you add both numbers together and than divided by 1024.

917504K+65536K/1024=960.

So, you have approximately a gig of memory

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ahmed,

yes you have to sum both values and get the total. DRAM is divided logically, combining the two numbers determines total DRAM.

Cisco <platform-processor-type> processor (revision <processor-revision-id>) with 
<free-DRAM-memory>K/<packet-memory>K bytes of memory.

this link could help you (scroll down to see examples):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_s4.html#wp1499591

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

hi ,

thanks for the document,

i summed the two vlaues but the result is

so  wts my real memory value ??

960 or 1024 ???

regards

Hi Ahmed,

The first number is how much memory there is available for software, and the second number is how much memory there is available for I/O.  To get the megabyte, you add both numbers together and than divided by 1024.

917504K+65536K/1024=960.

So, you have approximately a gig of memory

HTH

thanks reza , i was dividing on 1000 not 1024

regards

hi mr reza

im facing unlogical problem in my router im using 7206

as u said that the memory above is 960

but i read from cisco navigator tool that my   ios need at least l024

does this issue may cause a conflict ? or i can ssume that my memroy is 1024  and forgte any problems from the ios ??

here is the ios requirements  form cisco

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Image Name   c7200p-adventerprisek9-mz.124-24.T4.bin DRAM / Min Flash   1024 / 256 Enterprise Product Number   S72PAESK9-12424T

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

as u see it needs 1024 , but my config ram is 960

does this affect on the system?

regards

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From your stats, believe you have 1GB RAM, so you should be okay.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card