Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to limit I/O bandwidth on 3750x switch interface.

Hi all,

I have to share 10mbps internet bandwidth with one of the client using cisco 3750x series switch, i am very confused that what exactly should i use as many articals say that i can only control outgoing traffic but not incoming. As per my knowledge i can use "PBR with QOS" or "srr-queue". Can anyone suggest me how to achive this, would really appreciate your help. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It is true that you can shape outgoing traffic but not incoming.  What you can do with incoming traffic, however, is to police it.  If you exceed a certain data rate, then you drop packets.  That way the TCP will recover, but will back off a little until it finds a steady rate.  The great thing about policing it in this way is that you can do it selectively; that is, you can police different classes of traffic at different rates.  But you will have to read the QOS chapter in your documentation to work out how to do it.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1 REPLY

It is true that you can shape outgoing traffic but not incoming.  What you can do with incoming traffic, however, is to police it.  If you exceed a certain data rate, then you drop packets.  That way the TCP will recover, but will back off a little until it finds a steady rate.  The great thing about policing it in this way is that you can do it selectively; that is, you can police different classes of traffic at different rates.  But you will have to read the QOS chapter in your documentation to work out how to do it.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content