cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How To Make DCE/DTE Cable from 2 male V35 ( CAB-SS-V35MC)

Ron Timbang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Someone here tried to make a cross cable (DCE/DTE) from 2 male V35? I need it for my home lab since price of cross cable here is still pricey.

Thank you guys.

Ron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ron,

Making your own "serial crossover cables" is almost impossible in amateur conditions. While the pinouts of individual signals are known, e.g. here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/hardware/notes/marcabl.html#wp41308

the real problem is that inside the Smart Serial plug on your cable, there are local connections inside it (marked as J1-22 through J1-24 in the pinout above) that most probably connect these pins to the signal ground to indicate to the (H)WIC card what kind of cable is connected to it. As these connections are located in the plug itself (which is often sealed in plastic or in rubber), you will most probably not be capable of modifying them. Even if you cut the cables and crossed the Tx and Rx pairs, the plug would still be hardwired to signal the V.35 DTE mode.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sir,

Thank you for the info but in Philippines cable cost around $35.

I have 4 X V35 & trying to use it if possible to save cost .

Thanks.

Anyone please help.

Thanks.

You have been given the correct answer above already.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ron,

Making your own "serial crossover cables" is almost impossible in amateur conditions. While the pinouts of individual signals are known, e.g. here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/hardware/notes/marcabl.html#wp41308

the real problem is that inside the Smart Serial plug on your cable, there are local connections inside it (marked as J1-22 through J1-24 in the pinout above) that most probably connect these pins to the signal ground to indicate to the (H)WIC card what kind of cable is connected to it. As these connections are located in the plug itself (which is often sealed in plastic or in rubber), you will most probably not be capable of modifying them. Even if you cut the cables and crossed the Tx and Rx pairs, the plug would still be hardwired to signal the V.35 DTE mode.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello! My name is Alberto, I'm from Brazil. I managed to make the wonderful cable dce / dte back to back with two cables v.35, but I got a lot of work if you want instructions, send email to me albertosilvah@hotmail.com who teach will soon be posting one video on youtube showing the pinout and cable fabrication.

CSCO12782799
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! My name is Alberto, I'm from Brazil. I managed to make the wonderful cable dce / dte back to back with two cables v.35, but I got a lot of work if you want instructions, send email to me albertosilvah@hotmail.com who teach will soon be posting one video on youtube showing the pinout and cable fabrication.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card