cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to monitor specific port on 2960 Switch?

mrahman0302
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have few 2960 switches which are configured with layer 2 and they are connected via trunk. I am trying to monitor or see the traffic output on specific port or vlan. What I need to do to get the traffic output? Appreciate your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Rahman

Yeah.. refer the URL sent .. it will show how to map ports or vlans to a destination port, for you to collect statistics about that port.. you can probably use a network sniffer to see what exactly is the source/destination port of the application stream etc.. If your sniffer is on a different switch than your source, you might need to use Remote SPAN..

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi rahman

You can use SPAN & RSPAN technologies to monitor or mirror trafffic from a set of PCs to a Network Probe.. You can specifiy the source port and destination port to copy the data from one port to another.. is this for sniffing traffic or troubleshooting a particular issue ? Have a look at this URL to get more details on Port mirroring:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_sed/configuration/guide/swspan.html

Hope this helps.. all the best

Raj

Hi Sachin,

This is to see whether any traffic is coming on to those ports or vlan.

Hi Rahman

Yeah.. refer the URL sent .. it will show how to map ports or vlans to a destination port, for you to collect statistics about that port.. you can probably use a network sniffer to see what exactly is the source/destination port of the application stream etc.. If your sniffer is on a different switch than your source, you might need to use Remote SPAN..

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have few 2960 switches which are configured with layer 2 and they are connected via trunk. I am trying to monitor or see the traffic output on specific port or vlan. What I need to do to get the traffic output? Appreciate your help.

Hi,

To get the traffic output you need to have wireshark/ethereal software installed on your desktop and span port configurtion of vlan/source port with destination port where you have installed the above mentioned software for traffic analysuing purpose.

span port configuration is given in Raj reply just check how to congigure the span port in the provided url.

Hope to help

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card