cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to prevent MAC Flapping when using Flex Connect Access points?

ROBERT T
Level 4
Level 4

I have multiple access points connected to the same switch, on the same vlan. The access points are in Flex connect mode so they are dropping the traffic to the local switch port. As the clients roam from one AP to the next, their MAC address moves from one port to the next (on the same switch). This makes sense and is working by design.

- I am getting MAC flapping messages in the switches log. Currently the Global aging time is set to 300 on the switch.

- Is it recommended to leave the aging time along and ignore the messages in the log? or is it recommended to decrease the aging time to accommodate the moving MACs in this design with the Flex Connect APs?

2 Replies 2

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I believe that MAC addresses flapping between AP ports when using Flex Connect is fairly normal.

Lowering the ageing time is unlikely to make a difference due to how fast the client roams between AP's.

The switch should realise fairly quickly that the clients are no longer transmitting on one AP port so remove that MAC from the CAM table.

Thank you. This is what I figured, but wanted to make sure nothing special was recommended in this design.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: