Views
Helpful
Replies

How to recover the password and enablepass

aminhaq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I can log on to the 4006 sw using tacacs but can't change the passwords as the are shown as encrypted. I used the encrypted as a old password but is not taking. I forgot the old password. CiscoWorks is not configured to use SNMP.

How can I get the old password to change it?

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

theobagm
Level 1
Level 1

I do not believe that either the password and the enable password are ever stored unencrypted on a CatOS system. Under IOS 'no service password-encryption' will show all passwords in clear text except the enable secret. If you can access the physical console port and can tolerate the down time of a power cycle followed by a recovery process try this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00801746e6.shtml

Otherwise I know of NO way to get the unencrypted password once it has been forgotten.

Unless you have a snmp wizard who knows snmp inside and out there is no other way . The one way that might work if you have another 4006 that you know the password I "think" you can copy that encrypted string into a file on a tftp server then config net that file then change the password the normal way . I believe I changed it that way once a long time ago .

But you would need the enable secret in order to to the TFTP, wouldn't you?

Ordinary "encrypted" passwords are too easy to crack if you know the encrypted version - there are tools all over the Internet to do so. Level '5', on the other hand, are much more secure - I don't know any tool that will do it.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

This is a CatOS switch I was talking to.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card