Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to remove an interface from spanning tree?

Hello folks

We have a triangle shaped L2 network with three 6513 switches and spanning tree enabled on all vlans to handle loop configuration. Pretty basic I guess. Today the fiber link between our root 6513 and the "secondary" 6513 went down due to supplier error, but everythings OK using the other links previously blocked by STP and I disabled the interfaces on the broken link not to confuse STP if the link comes up.

Now our supplier tells us to start testing the link but I don't want to risk STP sync during office hours. Is there a way to bring up an L2 interface without participating in STP negotiation?

Regards

Fredrik Hofgren

1 REPLY

Re: How to remove an interface from spanning tree?

Yes there is my friend

1)If that switch has layer 3 capabilities, than you can issue "no switchport" command on the interface level - that will transform the port to be a leyer 3 port = NO STP. You can do the same on the other port on the other switch - point-to-point - give the /30 IP's and make your tests.

2) You can look for "MST" on cisco.com/univercd. You can put both interfaces on both switches on seperate spanning-tree instance thus isolating the this link.

HTH

rate me if it did :-)

Views
Helpful
Replies